Monday, August 22, 2005

Into the breach, Program!



Darwinia, the closest anyone's probably ever going to get to a TRON real-time strategy game, is something I stumbled upon while searching the Internet(s) for free gaming goodness.

It is, unfortunately, not free. However, this amazingly cool game was self-published by an indy outfit called Introversion Software, so the 30$ you drop will be going strait into artist's pockets instead of down the hall to marketing for another fucking focus-group full of 12 year olds, gushing about how they want, no NEED, to be Ninjas. GIGANTIC ROBOT NINJAS!

A demo level is available, which I recommend, but you MUST read this play guide before starting or you will suffer instant and painful frustration, swelling, and burning.

5 comments:

Don J. said...

Q: What do ninjas do when they're not cutting off heads or flipping out?
A: Most of their free time is spent flying, but sometime they stab.

That is modern genius, though I am still partial to legends about pirates.

Don J. said...

Do you purposely try to get as many hyperlinks into one paragraph as possible?

Pete said...

I'm at school right now, but I'll give the demo a spin in a day or two. The screenshot above looks like TRON mixed with a de Chirico painting.
Anyway, hyperlinking helps along the information apocalypse!

Mr. Alex said...

Yes, I DO try and get as many hyperlinks as possible into my post. That way you get to go read other people yammering on instead of me. This saves me precious, succulent words...

I enjoy this Giorgio de Chirico...

Pete said...

The game's interface, gameplay, and graphical treatment are very well meshed together. I had a bit of difficulty with the mouse gesture commands, as my mouse lagged a bit, because of my crappy standard issue 3-d card. That kept me from getting very far into the demo, because I had to do each gesture six or eight times I wanted to execute a command.