Thursday, February 16, 2006

Songbird

This application may be a good solution to my earlier dilemna regarding freeware digital music players (see my previous post iTunes 6.0.2 - Spyware or not?). Winamp is a tight program, but to use more than its most basic capabilities you need to register and pay 20 bucks, thus eliminating it from the freeware category. The Songbird program is being built in close collaboration with the developers of Firefox and VLC, two of the best programs out there from the open source crowd. It is still in a development stage but I like the range of possibilities that this might have once it is finished. My experience thus far is that the open source crowd is developing the best programs on the market with the least bugs and security issues, seeing as any problem is immediately descended upon by a bunch of crack programming geeks. "Must fix bug . . . before going to work at Microsoft . . . in the morning . . . more coffee . . . mind strong . . . body weak . . ."

1 comment:

Mr. Alex said...

I would try it, but the chip in my head says that would make Steve Jobs sad :-(