Sunday, September 11, 2005

From the Ministry of Information Retrieval


I think it would be a shame not to share this document that has been sitting on my hard drive: It's a record of a project I did a few years ago when, prompted by a school assignment, I catalogued garbage purloined from trailer parks around my parents' house. The results were quite educational, and serve as a reminder that, though we live moment to moment... "Now I am at work... Now I am enjoying a beer and the company of my friends... Now I am brushing my teeth... etc."... all of those moments promptly don't exist the moment after. Almost all of what we'll leave behind is garbage, and everything that isn't garbage now, will be someday.
I thought that this old project was pertinent, particularly with Alex's mention of Found magazine in a post a few weeks ago.
I've compiled the documentation into one PDF file, kindly ignore the cripple-ware blue text at the bottom of each page. My conscience drove me to smear out last names and addresses. There are two samples in the document, there was a third, and while it held some goodies, I decided including it would interfere with the existing plot arc.
Link to "Reverse Marketing" a.k.a. "Trailer Trash" document.

Some of the "provincial" types in my class were telling me this week about a hunting range in Texas that features hunting via web-cam and robot servo-arm. Creepy.
Link
UPDATE: Speaking of remote death... When we were gaming this afternoon, we got quite a chuckle out of some Dead Milkmen lyrics. I thought I'd post some links to a couple of their videos: (In Real media format) "Peter Bazooka" & "Big Time Operator". Via the Blank TV site.

No comments: