Sunday, April 02, 2006

My shiny new operating system.

Last week I was once again tinkering with my computer (fondly referred to in the Astromen! community as "built from used Ukrainian missile silo parts") and once again I broke my Windows installation. Not surprising considering the programming that goes into that system developed in my home town, and the operations I was performing (trying to hack my cell phone to be open to all networks and downloading pirated video games -- the Pirate Bay AYE!) After some research I have started over and made the switch to Linux, specifically the Ubuntu distribution with a GNOME visual interface. Though a bit difficult at first to get used to, I am very pleased so far. It is immensely more solid programming, completely customizable, every bit of software is free, and has a number of features that make me wonder why I ever was a slave to the dreadful installation wizards or longed for an overpriced hip-kid deck. If I am confused, Linux geeks the world over have posted massive amounts of documentation to be searched through or they will answer your questions within moments. I have not had this much fun with a computer since setting up my Commodore 64. In the last year or so they have improved the cross platform aspects (you can port just about anything now given the right software) and I still have a small Windoze partition for those fun, but buggy Frankenstein programs like Visual Pinball and the fully updated Neverwinter Nights.
Super-User, the command line calls to you _

1 comment:

Pete said...

That's it. I'm reporting you to the Master Control Program.